Thursday, February 12, 2009

Why Shawshank Redemption is Great

Our teacher, Mr. Bennett has belittled many our favorite movies. In response to this, I have devised a study on why one of these movies is indeed great. One of the most highly acclaimed pieces of cinematography, The Shawshank Redemption directed by Frank Darabont, is probably my favorite movie. Though it may lack moral ambiguity, it is great not only because this innocent man ultimately survives the corrupt system of the prison, but also because he learns that he must rise up and rebel against the warden and others by out-corrupting them. He learns to both maintain his principles, as seen by the scene where he plays that Italian opera music despite the fact he realizes it will result in severe punishment, and be opportunistic, never forgetting that his only real goal is to escape the prison, taking advantage of the power he is given by the warden. Our hero, Andy Dufresne, is an independent man but still a "team player," as seen when he builds the library and helps others gain their GED. Although this movie lacks moral ambiguity, I feel it doesn't need it. Rather, it is substituted by the fact that the main character is a just man but is denied justice, and instead of waiting for someone to save him, he saves himself. While others in the prison are products of the system, Andy creates his own system and despite being in jail, he continually expresses himself and accomplishes more than most people who are free.

5 comments:

  1. I am so pleased, Sanbeg, to see that you will not be intimidated into accepting my opinion on films. Bravo. However, your courage in this regard is misplaced. It's much wiser to simply accept my analysis as Gospel truth. But, knowing you as I do, there's little chance of that.

    I don't recall belittling this film. I think I said that it was morally simplistic. It argues that the world is filled with good and bad people and that, with effort and courage, evil can be overcome and good will triumph. The film is very well made and beautifully acted, etc. It certainly uplifts us and we feel great when he overcomes the bad guys and wins out in the end.

    Now, does a film have to present moral ambiguity in order to be great? I'm not sure. I think so. I mentioned this film, not becuase I hate it. Just the opposite. I like it very much, but I think it misses the mark ever so slightly.

    What were the other films I "belittled?"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see where Mr. Bennett is coming from, but I agree with Danny in regards to the fact that a movie shouldn't need moral ambiguity to be good. It does add something extra to a film, but I wouldn't say it is necessary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You present a compact analysis. Though you could have done more with what was not said in the class, all your points are valid. You capture the inspirational story of the movie quite nicely through examples. What is also important is that you said all this in a way that is you. If everything else that is positive leaves your reviews, at least maintain the Sandbeg-ness of the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved Andy's character, but I remember leaving the movie theater with a sort of bittersweet sense of satisfaction. Of course I was happy for Andy's triumph and escape, but I couldn't see myself in him at all. He was just this perfect, patient, all around great guy. Could a lesser person have accomplished something as big as he did? Though I wish he had that moral ambiguity to add to my peace of mind, I don't think it really detracted from the film.. just the feelings I took away from it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's true that the world isn't filled with clear-cut good people and bad people. Maybe Andy did have moral ambiguity in his life before we saw him in the movie. Maybe he had it after the movie was over, but for someone with as much determination and perseverence as Andy, maybe they could, for a while, have enough focus to be just morally "good".

    ReplyDelete