Thursday, March 26, 2009

Why 80s Movies Fail

The 1980s in general is just an awkward decade. It seems that every movie from the 80s is very corny and archaic. Rather than transcending time, like many older movies, for example, the 1940s and 1970s, which produced in my opinion, some of the greatest movies, especially the 1970s (I haven't seen that many 1940s movies, though they are highly acclaimed) the 1980s seemed stuck in time. The science fiction movies seem ridiculous, with the exception of the Star Wars trilogy (1977-1983.) I have tried to watch Blade Runner three times and have fallen asleep all three times and I tried to watch Brazil today, but it seemed so passé in both theme and production, that I couldn't bear watching it pass the first ten minutes. Those 80s haircuts, sense of fashion, and odd comedic elements seem to override any sliver of intellectual or philosophical elements of those movies.
A typical 80s movie scene is on that takes place in some kind of office, like the one in Runaway Train. Everything from the glasses and the facial expressions, are overdone and seem completely unrealistic in comparison to modern times. It seems sad for those talented artists: actors, directors, cinematographers, key grips, and lightning crew members, whose artistic prime occurred during this dreadful time.
It seems strange how there were some great movies from 1980: The Shining and The Elephant Man, but after that year, it all falls short. Pass that, the mementum from the glorious 1970s wears off. And the vast majority of the movies that people like from that era are science fiction movies that are nearly completely for entertainment and lack intellectual themes, such as: Raiders of the Lost Ark, Back to the Future, and The Terminator. These movies often contain children who are full of angst and adventure and come to help shady characters, which is quite cliche, but still could produce a positive effect is done right. But 80s movies seem incapable of doing this, as the results are largely predictable.
After this miserable decade of film, the 1990s produced some of the all-time greats. Goodfellas in 1990s, Silence of the Lambs in 1991, Reservoir Dogs in 1992, Schindler's List in 1993, and quite possibly the best year of cinema in American history, 1994, with Forest Gump, Shawshank Redemption, and Pulp Fiction. Of course people will say "what about ______; it was my favorite movie and it was in 198_." Well for those people, maybe you should write a blog about how you feel the contrary about 1980s cinema, but for me, I rather watch silent films.

9 comments:

  1. I think it is a pretty bold statement to say that "every movie from the 80s is very corny and archaic". An entire decade of films, probably a minimum of an hour and a half each, ::does incalculable math::, it must have taken you quite some time to watch all of those.

    Airplane - 1980
    Full Metal Jacket - 1987
    Ghostbusters - 1984 -- for 6 years was the highest grossing comedy of all time
    The Princess Bride - 1987

    Those are some of my favorites from the decade.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sanbeg, your arrogance knows no bounds. Fortunately, Nick and I are co-Presidents of the Humility society, and we shall cut you down a few pegs. It is a task we embrace with enthusiasm.

    However, just because your statement is so broad and exaggerated does not mean that it may not have considerable truth in it. I don't have time right now, but it would be worth it to compile a list of 100 films of note during this period and see if you're on to something. Obviously, it would not take much effort to list a dozen films that refute your thesis, yet you may still have a point.

    I find this particularly intersting because we (meaning my wife and I) always talk about the crazy movies of the 70's that had such ridiculous endings. Movies from that period just never seemed to end in a coherent way. You always walked out of the theatre scratching your head and asking your companions if anyone knew what the hell happened.

    Obviously, my last paragraph is filled with the same broad generalizations that I criticized you for earlier. The only difference is that it's ok when I do it. After all, I'm the teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I am not well-versed in 1980's movie, nor any other decade, except maybe our current decade, so I can't give an opinion on it.

    I will completely agree with Sanbeg however on the hairstyles and fashion. It was scary! Nick brings up some good movies but it may prove Sanbeg's point that Nick could only think of 4 and Airplane doesn't count. It was released in 1980 which Sanbeg stated with still permissible since it was likely filmed in 1979.

    Sanbeg, you make a very strong argument, and I agree with most of it, but avoid being so sure. Mr. Bennett will tell you to call it one of the worst decades not the worst because you want to avoid putting yourself in a corner when it is impossible to do the proper legwork and watch enough movies.

    However, I will say that some 80's movies are horrid.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can find movies in any decade that you find horrible. Especially if you walk into them with such a prejudiced, arrogant attitude. Obviously some movies from the 80s were terrible, as are some movies from the 40s, 70s, and 90s. Perhaps you just aren't watching the right movies. Here's some of the best movies I've seen made after 1980:

    Cinema Paradiso (this movie's Italian, though, and I'm not sure whether or not your comments are purely about American films. Either way, watch this movie! My all time favorite)
    Amadeus
    The King of Comedy
    My Dinner With Andre
    Hannah and her Sisters
    E.T.
    Platoon
    Blue Velvet
    Ghandi
    Tootsie
    This Is Spinal Tap
    Rain Man
    A Fish Called Wanda
    Driving Miss Daisy
    Sophie's Choice
    Dead Poet's Society
    The Color of Money
    & All 4 of the movies Nick mentioned (esp. the Princess Bride & Ghostbusters!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yea I can't believe I forgot Rain Man.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well first of all I said "it seems like every movie is corny and archaic." I do not believe in absolutes, of course, so it seems you misinterpretted my the second sentence (I was careful enough to use seems.) That is obviously a generalization that does leave room for some exceptions. I did mean American Cinema, foreign films I usually consider in a different category. I have seen some of the movies people have listed; some of these movies are indeed quite good: Rain Man, Platoon, and Full Metal Jacket. However, they still usually contain the elements of the 80s that I was talking about. But anyway, its always funny to see how the most outrageous posts get the most comments; well Bennett was complaining about the lack of enthusiasm. If you guys really want to get people into this blog thing, get that someone in the class that loves 80s movies and tell him/her that Sanbeg made some stupid statement about 80s movies in general. Then we will know who likes 80s culture and we can jeer at that person because he is embracing that horrible culture.

    ReplyDelete
  7. And o yea, what about that blog that I challenged someone to make about why 80s movies are indeed of quality.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Actually, Sand-bag, I did consider that part of the equation, namely that the outrageous gets much more air time than the even-handed. Perhaps I'll imitate that myself and see if I can't get some action too. Unfortunately, it appears that nothing is going to move this blog ring for the simple reason that nobody's looking, except the aferementioned.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We're out there - I'm just illiterate when it comes to cinema (although Shiran, good picks with Amedeus, Gandhi, and Tootsie), but please do continue, this is all extremely amusing.

    ReplyDelete